Once a patient decides to undergo hair restoration surgery in Toronto, they often begin their research into the various options available to them to determine the best approach for achieving the most natural-looking result. They will soon discover there are 2 commonly practiced options that dominate the industry: FUE (follicular unit extraction) and FUT (follicular unit transplantation), and with good reason.
FUE vs. FUT: Considering Hair Replacement Surgery in Toronto
FUE Vs. FUT
Differences Between The Two Procedures
Both methods work toward restoring hair loss with natural and permanent hair. Indeed, these methods are both tried and true, but this may leave a patient wondering which system would be best for them. The best way to determine the right approach is to understand these two techniques.
What Is An FUE Hair Transplant?
In this type of procedure, the follicle is harvested directly from the scalp where an abundance of healthy hair grows. The main difference between FUE and FUT is that with follicular unit extraction, a long strip of hair is not removed from the back or side of the head. Instead, individual follicles are taken from various spaces covering the donor site. There are some main points to consider before opting for the FUE method:
- Follicles are extracted throughout the donor area, so unlike the FUT method, there is no noticeable strip of hair that has to be removed.
- Due to its extraction process, the FUE procedure requires no stitches or staples and little downtime for recovery. The treatment heals faster than FUT.
- There are no scars, but there are 1 mm puncture marks that will scab and heal within 3 to 7 days.
What Is An FUT Hair Transplant?
With an FUT hair transplant, the surgeon removes a small strip of hair from the back or the side of the head, where hair is growing healthy and normally. Follicles are then harvested from the strip and are individually transplanted into the area that is being targeted for treatment. People considering a hair transplant via the FUT method may want to consider a few points before proceeding:
- FUT causes a higher level of discomfort for patients and a significantly longer recovery process. Patients will experience swelling where the strip of donor hair was taken. Medications for pain will be prescribed after the procedure to ease any pain and discomfort that may be experienced within the first few days after the treatment.
- Most patients will have a scar from the area where the strip of hair was taken. It is typically thin and easy to conceal once the hair grows back.
Hair Replacement Surgery
Book A Consultation
Each method boasts positives and negatives, and clinics will often favour one technique over the other. If you find that you still have questions or would like to speak with one of our qualified professionals to learn how to proceed, you can learn more about FUT or FUE hair transplants by contacting our clinic at (647)351-0061 or visiting our website at https://www.torontotransplantclinic.com/ We would be happy to book a consultation with you to determine whether this procedure is right for your needs and goals.
Watch patient interviews & informative content
Additional Articles About Neograft Hair Transplant
Get in touch with us
Schedule a consultation today!
Hair Transplant Clinic
Phone: (647) 351 0061
Fax: (647) 343 0277