What Is Minoxidil?
Minoxidil is used to stimulate hair regrowth in patients who are experiencing thinning hair or gradual hair loss on the top of the head. It works by reversing the effects of miniaturization. Hair before it falls out will become thin and wispy. This treatment works to reverse the miniaturization process and therefore thicken the hair that is left on the top of the head and stop it from falling out.
Minoxidil solution is a vasodilator. It is not known exactly why minoxidil solution stimulates scalp hair growth. It is theorized though that it is because it dilates the blood vessels in the scalp and therefore may improve the hair follicle function and stimulate more scalp hair growth.
Before Using Minoxidil
There are some medical conditions that may interact with minoxidil solution. So please let us know immediately if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the below apply to you:
– You are pregnant, are planning to become pregnant, or are currently breast-feeding.
– You are taking a prescription or non-prescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement. Please let the doctor know right away which medications you are already using.
– You have existing allergies to any medicines, food, or other substance.
– You have an existing heart or blood pressure problem.
Some medications may conflict with minoxidil solution. However, because only a small amount, if any, of minoxidil solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is actually pretty low.
Ask us during your consultation if minoxidil solution may have a harmful interaction with any medicines that you take. Check with Dr. Torgerson before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medication.
How to Use Minoxidil Solution
Use minoxidil solution as directed. Check the label on the packaging of the product for exact dosing instructions.
– Before use, wash your scalp with Revivogen Bio-Cleansing Shampoo, followed by Revivogen conditioner. Make sure that your hair and scalp are completely dry before applying the minoxidil solution. Also be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after applying minoxidil solution. (This isn’t because you might grow hair on your hands, it is just so you don’t end up putting your hands or fingers in your mouth while you still have the product on it.)
– Allow the solution to remain on the scalp and soak in for at least 4 hours before washing it out. Wait approximately 4 hours after application before entering a pool or hot tub or going swimming. Do not allow your scalp to get wet from the rain or anything else after applying the solution.
– After applying minoxidil, wait until the scalp is dry before using other hair care products.
– If you miss a dose of minoxidil solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.