Hair Restoration Treatments & Alternatives

Most Common Hair Restoration Treatments

Although there is no solution to grow your hair back once the follicle has died, there are many supplements and treatments available on today’s market that play a part in hair restoration. As of today, a hair transplant is the only solution for treating baldness, and it could cost you anywhere from $10,000 and up. For many reasons, not everyone who is experiencing hair loss wants to proceed with a hair transplant procedure. Moving forward, there is hope, and there are alternatives available for the consumer at a more affordable cost.

The first step is scheduling a consultation with a doctor who specializes in hair loss. It is important to see a doctor for feedback and recommendations for which procedure and/or treatment option would be most suitable for your needs. The most common hair restoration treatments and alternatives recommended by doctors are minoxidil, finasteride, low-level laser therapy (LLT), platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP), and salon-grade shampoos.



Popular Solution for Men & Women Experiencing Hair Loss

Minoxidil, also known by the brand name Rogaine, is a highly popular over-the-counter solution for both men and women experiencing hair loss. It takes approximately 4 months before minoxidil produces any sort of noticeable results. The foam or liquid treatment must be applied to the scalp where the hairs are thinning. The most common side effects for Rogaine users are that it could cause irritation to the scalp and reduce your blood pressure. Minoxidil also requires consistent use for ongoing results.

Finasteride, also known by the Propecia brand name, is an oral medication for men only that is prescribed by doctors to treat male pattern baldness. It works best at stimulating the growth of hair in the crown area of the scalp. This medication inhibits the activity of the enzyme responsible for converting the male hormone testosterone into a form that is active in hair follicles. About 5% of finasteride users experience a decreased libido, although the remaining 95% do not. It is worth trying for a month to see whether it is for you or not.

delimiter image

Watch patient interviews & informative content




Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy

PRP, also known as platelet-rich plasma therapy, is a non-surgical therapeutic option for patients with hair loss. The patient’s blood is drawn and spun in a centrifuge where the rich platelets are separated and removed from the rest of the blood components. The platelets are well known to release numerous growth factors resulting in more density and thicker hair. It is recommended to have 3 PRP treatments, all one month apart, and once a year moving forward. Although it is still in the early stages of research for hair restoration, PRP has proven to replace other treatments such as minoxidil and finasteride for people who wish to avoid various side effects.

Salon-Grade Shampoos & Conditioners

Salon-grade shampoos and conditioners such as Revivogen have helped many patients over the years. Revivogen is to be used 3 to 5 times a week to maintain results. It also enhances the outcome for people who undergo hair transplants. The all-natural ingredients in Revivogen stimulate the hair follicle growth cycle while preventing the activity of the hormone DHT, which is responsible for hair loss. One of the known side effects is scalp irritation such as itching and flaking.

Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLT)

Low-level laser therapy (LLT) activates hair follicles to regrow. The ideal treatment is a 20-minute session twice a week. Clinics today still charge patients by the session for LLT. However, now you can purchase your own laser helmet such as the Theradome to use in the comfort of your own home. For the first 4 to 18 weeks, the cold laser technology ensures that the mitochondria of hair cells are stimulated to reduce and minimize hair loss. By the time you reach weeks 18 to 26, the hair follicles will begin to get thicker and fuller with more density. After 6 months of using the Theradome, the hair growth begins, and the results will show.

delimiter image

Get in touch with us

Schedule a consultation today!

Please select one language only

The Toronto Hair Transplant Clinic

59 Hayden St Suite 702,
Toronto, ON, M4Y 2P2, Canada

Phone: (647) 351-0061
Fax: (647) 343-0277

中文客服电话 (Mandarin Number Only)
(647) 930-0307

Our Location Map